The AXA Sydney Harbour Concours d’Elegance powered by Ferrari, along with some of the world’s most prolific concours’ sponsor support including official time partner A Lange & Söhne and champagne partner Pommery, defied torrential rain on the opening day to produce surely the most spectacular concours ever held in the Southern Hemisphere on March 5th -7th.
Held in the lush gardens of Swifts, one of Australia’s finest mansions, built in 1875, the sun came out and a selection of some of the finest cars in the country was shown to over 600 invited guests, and judged by a Jury led by Andrew Bagley, Chairman of Salon Privé, Wilhelm Schmidt, CEO of A.Lange & Söhne, both of whom had travelled especially from Europe, and Jacquie Hayes, aka Madam Wheels, all well versed in the world of Haute Automobilisme.
Luxury Pommery Champagne and exclusive Château La Gordonne rosé garden parties were held by day surrounded by the exquisite automobiles and rare watchmaker displays by A.Lange & Söhne amid the Victorian lawns and grand trees of Swifts. DJ deep-house summer sounds on the roof top terrace of the InterContinental Hotel Double Bay drinking Pommery Blue Sky champagne over ice, watching the sun go down over Sydney’s glorious harbour concluded the first day. Guests enjoyed free-flowing bubbles toasting the rare curation of automobiles wearing bespoke event panama hats gifted by title sponsor, AXA making for a decidedly elegant atmosphere.
All was topped off with a Pommery Champagne degustation black-tie Gala Award dinner at the prestigious Royal Automobile Club of Australia on the final evening, with the following cars taking home the laurel wreaths of victors :-
- Class one – wind in your hair: 1949 Jaguar XK120
- Class two – pushing the envelope: 1954 Muntz Jet
- Class three – power & speed: 1987 Porsche 959
- Class four – I.C.B.M.: 1913 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost
- Class five – Mambo Italiano: 1970 Lamborghini Miura S
- Cavallino Rampante award for best Ferrari: 1964 Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta Lusso
- Women’s choice: 1949 Jaguar XK120
- Pommery Champagne Preservation Award: 1949 Singer Roadster
- A Lange & Söhne People’s choice: 1913 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost
- AXA Best in Show: 1970 Lamborghini Miura S
- Runner up: 1913 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost
- Third place: 1964 Alfa Giulia Sprint Speciale